Friday, October 16, 2009

Eve speaks

I recently moved to Vero Beach, and right around the corner from Rebekah's house, sits a retirement home. It is not uncommon to see residents strolling about the neighborhood, or watering the grass. Today however, i decided to join a friendly looking woman for a stroll around the block. We introduced ourselves, and began to tell our stories and future plans. I told of my recent graduation, and aspirations of becoming a writer for the local newspaper. She told of her children, and previous experiences teaching fifth grade science and writing for a small town newspaper herself.

We rounded the last corner of the block and arrived at the retirement home main entrance, at which point she told me her name was Eve and said a quick prayer for the passing airplane. I told her it was a pleasure to have met her and wished her a pleasant afternoon, at which point she stopped me, and said....

"Well, have a wonderful life, and remember, whatever happens; we have these beautiful birds, beautiful flowers; and we need people to take care of them, protect them, and beat the hell out of anyone who sprays them with pesticides."

No comments: