Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I could eat dessert with my breakfast

I suppose there are a great deal of things that would distinguish one as "well-off". I might not have given myself away this morning, had I not remembered and eaten the piece of pan dulce (sweat bread) in my sling-bag, purchased in Centro for a quarter, mid route to my second bus leg.

I might not even have noticed the man across the table, who drank only coffee, had he not slightly scoffed at my rightly-accused gluttony, having polished off four pupusas prior to un-bagging my breakfast dessert.

I don't typically like feeling distant from my fellow man, for any reason, be it dress, or home, or a natural predisposition for silverware. And when I say fellow man, I reference what one might define as the poor; let's be honest with ourselves, they comprise the majority, and their lives consist solely of mankind's' most natural functions; eating, sleeping, working, and loving. I want, in all circumstances, to live and act most like my fellow man, and this morning, I regret that I did not; not because I ate sweat bread, nor because I did so after my breakfast, but sheerly because I could, today, and can, tomorrow; and any day of the week, eat dessert with my breakfast; and if I really meditate on that thought, I mean really think about its implications, am not entirely convinced that true living, or religion for that matter, takes place within the state of having more than todays needed share.

Because if I think back
to the stories I learned as a child,
I remember a God,
who when he provided for the Israelites,
gave them solely enough for the day,
lest it spoil; and yet
somehow
I've managed to change
a God who does not change,
into one that condones eating dessert with breakfast.

Perhaps, one could claim that God allows wealth, even grants it to some; I'll concede, and won't argue, so long as we also agree that if God is the author, as one might claim, of financial wealth, in the sense that I could, if I wanted, eat dessert with my breakfast; if he wrote that story, then he must also, in his grace-filled authorship, determined a majority of his characters to have none.

If so, I hope to choose to be most like those, that God has, in far greater measure, decided are better off having no dessert with their breakfast.

Or I can state that God is solely the author of redemption, and of a kingdom, and pursue it with every workaholic bone in my system.

No comments: